Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Austin

Hmmm, where to go on a girl trip that is within driving distance, yet a fun and entertaining getaway from North and East Texas??? Austin of course! Actually, I have never spent any kind of time in Austin. I've only been there for a wedding and didn't even spend the night. Tish on the other hand had been there on several occasions and she agreed that it would be a good place for us to go (despite the scorching temps).








We had a great time! Lots of shopping on S. Congress, but mainly lots of eating. We ended up eating at two wonderful cafes for breakfast on various mornings. The Kerbey Lane Cafe and the Magnolia Cafe are both wonderful places to have a great breakfast (try the pancakes that are as big as your head).




Directly down the road from the Magnolia Cafe is Mozarts Coffee Roasters, a great coffee shop right on the lake with great coffee and yummy sweets.


And if you go to Austin, you must try Gourdough's (just take a look at that menu). It's a trailer that makes the most decadent doughnuts that you've ever tasted. I got "The Puddin'". Good heavens! A cream filled doughnut with cream cheese frosting, sliced bananas, and crushed vanilla wafers. It was so rich I could only eat half in one sitting.








But my all time favorite place we visited was Man Bites Dog. I realize that this does not make me sound like any kind of connoisseur of food, but I just love a good hot dog. LOVE them. Tish had the Abe Froman (did you catch the Ferris Bueller reference). This was a classic Chicago dog in all its pureness. Tish is excited about digging in.




I had the Al Pastor Dog. Get this... bacon wrapped pork sausage dog topped with pickled red onions, cilantro, pineapple, and chipotle ketchup! I can't even express how amazing all those flavors were together.






My mission is now to write the owners of that establishment and beg them to build one in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, preferably Arlington.




No comments:

Post a Comment