Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Whole lotta pureeing going on...

I had determined long before I had Klive that I would be making his baby food. I bought a book and I did my research. I read up on what to feed when, how to make the food, and what other moms were doing. I have actually found it quite enjoyable. There’s something very satisfying about it to me. I like that I can make his food and then taste it (and even sometimes eat a bowl of it) before I serve it to him. It’s so fresh and tasty and surprisingly not as time consuming as I thought it would be. Now don’t get me wrong. I have no beef with jarred baby food. In fact, I went to the store this week and bought him several jars. There are just some things that I was not able to make a good puree of; for instance, peas and green beans. With the peas it is next to impossible to break down the skin, so the texture is not quite so pleasing. And I also had trouble with the green beans, but it might have been because I didn’t cook them for long enough. I will try that one again soon. Also, prunes. I am not going to even attempt prunes, which I feel will yield the same results as the peas. Right now about 75% of his food is made by me and 25% is store bought. Sometimes it is just easier when we are out and about to open up a jar. I totally skipped cereal. We did try oatmeal cereal, but he didn’t like it one bit so I did not continue to pursue it.


Some of the things I have made for him successfully are avocados, bananas (No go on the bananas for now. His eczema breaks out worse when he eats these, so we will try again in a month or two.), butternut squash, sweet potatoes, pears, apples, zucchini, and peaches. In the next few weeks I will be trying broccoli, apricots, and plums. And I can now start mixing some of these foods that he has already eaten and try different combinations. Sometimes it’s out of necessity because he isn’t a big fan of peas unless pears are mixed in. So far his favorites are butternut squash and pears. His least favorites are carrots and peas. So here is a picture of Klive’s food loot. It’s all labeled and frozen and ready to be used. Ahhh… satisfaction.


No comments:

Post a Comment